Monday, November 09, 2009

back to basics.



I just read this quote and I really need to learn to live by it.

"If you seek some special life outside daily activities, that is like brushing aside waves to look for water."

-Unknown


I'm interpreting it as we all need to find beauty in the mundane. I constantly (and I mean constantly) question my talent, my intelligence, my looks, my cooking skills, my worth as my husband's wife, my mothering skills, ... Basically anything that makes me, well, me.

I always think, I could be doing "more" to make myself more interesting - but just by being me, that's special enough. I know this could very easily turn into a stuart smalley post.. "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and goshdarnit, people like me." I know that if I peaked into the lives of people I envy from afar, I'd probably click my heels 3 x's and want my own life back. I have enough spinning in my head to not include somebody else's spinning as well.

A friend and fellow blogger posted about people settling for their mates,and having the 2.5 kids and the "dream" and why she isn't chasing the dream right now... Because people who force it are miserable. And who wants to live out their adult life with somebody you forced into marriage, or a relationship that was really never meant to work in the first place? It all made total sense. Except that unlike a lot of people, I have the pleasure of being in love. And having "adult love." and hopefully, we'll never ever hurt each other.

I think that's where a lot of people get confused. They confuse adult love for the mundane. The "boring" and can't see past that smoke screen of wanting and needing more, more more, and take each special gift for what it is. I mean really, that's where we are as a society. Just look on any corner and you'll see a ridiculous amount of choices. HM? Starbucks or mccafe? Arby's or wendy's? Macy's or sears? It's all VERY indulgent. And pretty ridiculous.

In short, lets get back to basics people. Quit taking your kid to chucky cheese's and buying all those video games and go take a romp in the leaves.

No comments: